Q: Will there be a July 4 event at Fort Vancouver in 2016?
A: Yes! Independence Day at Fort Vancouver is a fun, safe, and spectacular event with plenty of entertainment for the whole family!
Q: Will there be a fireworks show at this event?
A: Absolutely! The fireworks will once again be launched from Pearson Field. The spectacular fireworks display will be directly overhead and will include a wide range of pyrotechnics.
Q: Is there an admission fee to attend this fun, all-day event?
A: Yes. In order to make this event sustainable for our community, admission will be charged for adults and teens. Children ages 12 and under are free. Click on the "TICKETS" tab at the top of this site to learn more about our ticket options.
Q: What should I bring with me?
- We recommend bringing blankets, camping chairs, or lawn chairs to comfortably enjoy the fireworks show.
- Remember your sunscreen!
- Feel free to pack a picnic cooler - outside food is welcome onsite, but there are numerous food vendor booths too! But leave your personal alcohol at home (the event has a beer garden for those aged 21 and over)
- If you pre-purchased a ticket or a parking pass, remember to have them printed and bring them with you to the event!
Q: What should I leave at home?
- Do not bring weapons of any kinds (we suggest you pre-cut your fruit, "watermelon" knives will still be confiscated at the gate)
- Do not bring alcohol (the event has an adult beverage pavilion for adults age 21 and over)
- Do not bring personal fireworks. Leave the firework show to the professionals!
- Do not bring barbecues of any kind
- Leave your pets at home! A firework show is no place for animals. Also, do not leave your pets unattended in a hot vehicle!
Q: Where will be the best spot to see the fireworks?
A: Though the entire Fort Vancouver National Site provides excellent viewing of the fireworks show, the absolute best seats are located in the Prime Viewing area with unobstructed views of the launch site. Visit 4th.fortvan.org/tickets for more information on the Prime Viewing Area!
Q: Will fireworks be visible from Clark College, the Columbia River, or Portland?
A: The fireworks will be set off at Pearson Field at Fort Vancouver National Site (and not from a barge in the Columbia River), so it is unlikely that the fireworks will be visible for people who are not at Fort Vancouver. Join us and enjoy the show!
Q: What can my family do at Fort Vancouver National Site while we are waiting for the fireworks show?
A: Families will find a full schedule of fun activities throughout the day.
Live music and more entertainment in five areas including the Main stage, the Prime Viewing stage, the Heritage area, the Kid's Entertainment Area.
- For kids: water balloon tosses, gunny sack races, face painting and more
- Patriotic Parade presented by Fred Meyer features military vehicles and cars, led by children festively dressed and decorated in red, white and blue
- For adults: music, guided walking tours, great food and a beer garden
- Historical elements: black powder demonstrations, Civil War era fashions, historic games and crafts
Q: When does the event begin?
A: The gates open at 8 a.m. Entertainment and family activities begin at 12:00 noon.
Q: When do the fireworks begin?
A: The fireworks begin at 10:05 p.m and last about 20 minutes
Q: Do you need volunteers for this event?
Q: If I attend Independence Day at Fort Vancouver, what are the rules?
- Weapons (knives, guns, nunchucks, etc.)
- Alcohol (event has an adult beverage pavilion for adults age 21 and over)
- Glass bottles or containers
- Personal fireworks
- Barbecues (gas or charcoal)
All canopies must be taken down by sundown to not block others' view of the fireworks.
No camping is permitted onsite
Q: Can I purchase tickets for those in need?
A: Yes, you can purchase tickets for economically disadvantaged families. The Trust will distribute these donated tickets through several local organizations.
Q: What if I am a food vendor, have arts and crafts to sell, or just want want a booth at the event?
A: Please visit the "VENDORS" tab at the top of this site. If you cannot find what you need on this website, call the Fort Vancouver National Trust at 360-992-1804.